Monday, June 27, 2016

6/25/2016- DSC Summer Open

TODAY WAS THE BEST DAY EVER! I had so much fun at the DSC Summer Open, I'm so glad I decided to do this! 

A brief rundown of the day...

I arrived at DSC around 8:15 and weighed in (64.5kg=142 pounds, officially 7 pounds lighter than I was in April, thanks RP Strength) then proceeded to eat the rest of my breakfast/eat half a bag of sour patch kids. They gave us our lifting order and I found out I was last which meant I was opening the heaviest. I also realized I would be following myself, meaning there were no other lifters between any of my lifts. Everyone started warming up and lifting, including me, because I had a total brain fart about how lifting meets actually work. The meet started at 10:00 and I figured we would move through the snatches pretty quickly. However, I forgot about the 2:00 clock between each individual lift. I warmed up with everyone else but then realized I would be sitting around for another 45 minutes once the meet actually started. Oops. I really had no clue what to do to keep myself warm but prevent myself from fatiguing. I would hit a light snatch and then do some heavy pulls, but I was starting to panic about warming up too early. 

Snatch
When it was actually time for me to lift, I was a little worried that I had gotten too cold. My first attempt was 65kg (143.3 pounds) and the pull was actually super easy but I didn't punch my arms back far enough and I ended up losing it forward. I was super annoyed because this is not a weight I should be failing. I didn't even wait the full two minutes before I tried again, this time I power snatched it because I knew I would throw my arms back more aggressively. Nailed it. I went up to 70kg (154.3) and hit that pretty easily. 

Clean and jerk
I was more relaxed once the snatches were finished and this time I knew to wait to start warming up until the first lifter started her clean and jerk. It didn't take me very long to warm up for clean and jerk, but my legs were feeling fatigued coming out of the squats so I decided to just power clean everything. I opened with 82kg (180) which wasn't my original plan (I was going to open at 185) but I figured I had a better chance of hitting all three lifts if I went 180-190-200. This was exactly what happened, I made the 82kg clean and jerk, then hit 87kg (191.8) and 90kg (198.4). I realized I should have made 90kg my second lift and ended with something closer to my max, which is 210 pounds. Oh well, it's all a learning experience! I was happy to hit all three clean and jerks.

I ended up with a 160kg total and a 209.367 Sinclair score which put me in first place! This was awesome. I had a blast at this meet. Everything was really well-run, the volunteers were all really nice, and all the lifters were cool as well! It was also really nice to see Adam, Becky, Michael, and Jensen. I would definitely like to do another lifting meet at some point this year and go for bigger numbers. (150/160/170 snatch and 190/200/210 clean and jerk). I learned a lot and it was also good for me mentally. I need to be able to go out and confidently hit the weight and I need to not be afraid to open a bit heavier, I have to stop second guessing myself. Overall this was a great experience and I'm so glad I did it! Onward! 







No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers